Friday, October 13, 2006

When I told my dear friend that I was moving to Ohio, she was flabbergasted. "If you're going to leave us, you should go someplace better than Kentucky," she said. I admit that the impression I have of Ohio has been influenced by that expectation... that I would be going someplace NOT better than Kentucky. Hmmmmm... How could that be? After all, THE MAN was prone to using the term briars to describe Kentuckians. It was an unfamiliar term, one I took to be derogatory. It was often employed in off-color jokes. While Kentucky is my home state, the place of my birth, and the place I have returned to over and over again, I have a love/hate relationship with KY. I agree with another friend who once said that Kentucky is a nice place to be from. Kentucky is beautiful. Can you think of another state whose song is as well known and loved? It still makes me cry each time I hear it. I'm a little sappy. On the other hand, the stereotypes... usually, stereotypes have some foundation in reality. I have met them. I bought a house next door to them. I put up a privacy fence.





Follow this link to one of the cool places I have visited in Ohio:

http://www.pyramidhill.org/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home